2-2-21-point-1

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Oh -- hello Half-Marathon Training..... I haven't missed you.

Bah! First day of the half-marathon clinic tonight.

I remember now why I stopped running with the groups, I'm just not competitive when I run, that's not WHY I do it. We ran a 3km warmup tonight followed by a mile for which they were going to time us in order to get into pace-groups.

Now.... on a GOOD day it takes me 4-5km to really warm up and get into it, today was no different. My preference is to start super slow, basically to ease into the run. This is part of the reason I love long runs --- there's no pressure to do it fast, you can start slow - warm up slowly - just go with the flow. This is also why I skipped alot of the short runs when I was training for Toronto.

So tonight I started running, and did pretty good - considering. I was 2km into a brisk tempo run when I realized that I was a> running cold and b> there was no immediate plan for a walk break (I usually take a short walk break every 5 minutes or so for the first couple of km) -- at about 2.5km I stopped to walk for a minute. At 3km I was in relatively decent shape.

We stopped at the 3km mark to line up for the mile-time run. This time I vowed to do it at MY pace --- there's no point in an inflated mile-time --- So I ran at the back at a comfortable pace, and another girl fell in with me, she seemed grateful that I made that move. We ran the whole mile at a steady pace at the back of the pack - chatting, then low and behold - THE GROUP DIDN'T WAIT FOR US! They literally turned and left about 30 seconds before we got to the end! I don't even think they realized they had left us!

So I guesstimate my mile time was around 10minute to about 10:30 --- who knows. *shrug*

My hips hurt, as do my ankles. Part of this is because I was in new shoes tonight (my flashy metallic blue Adrenelines!) - part of it is because I was pushing too hard to keep up to a group I can't keep up with on my best day.

We'll see ---- my goal for the Chilly Half is 2:15:00 -- IF I am 100% healthy on the day of the race. I think in order to be able to train through for this race I'm going to have to keep running primarily on my own --- I liked running with the girl I met tonight, but I can't take the competition week after week.

2 Comments:

  • I've gotta be honest.... I'm not surprised they didn't wait for you! I find a lot of the runners at these place are a little rude with "slower" (NOT SLOW but slower) runners. I went to 1 social-run organized by the equivalent of the Running Room in Windsor (Called Running Factory) and after 3 minutes the runners were out of reach and after 7 minutes they were out of sight!!! Me and this slower guy had no idea where to go and what to do.... there was one nice guy who ran back to us and slowed his pace to be with us... these people have a gift to make you feel uncomfortable and out of place!!!

    Good luck if you go back =)

    By Blogger Sonia, at 7:54 AM  

  • Bah!

    Sonia -- you're so right. I'm actually really dissapointed about this one - I wouldn't want anyone else to slow down, but the clinic leader should have AT LEAST waited for us. She made SUCH a big deal that they'd wait for the slower people... OH well -- I'm okay with my times - I have no need to prove myself to anyone else.

    Kayla -- I prefer to run alone now too :P There's nothing relaxing about competing with a group!

    By Blogger Amanda, at 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home